- Backup a storage account to a file.
- Restore a storage account from an existing backup file.
- Copy all data from one storage account to another.
- Also supports development storage.
How to setup:
How it works:
This project consists of 3 components
- Backup Server. The backup server must be installed within an existing Web Role or Worker Role. The backup server performs all backup & restore operations within the Windows Azure environment.
- Backup Client. The backup client provides a friendly way of performing a backup & restore at any time from a Windows PC.
- Backup Library. You can use the backup library to implement your own backup system or automate your backup operations, e.g. perform backups on a schedule.
Data is backed up & restored using the following techniques:
- Data is backed up by retrieving all entities from all tables. The maximum number of entities are returned per table service query (until a partition entity is hit or 1000 entities are returned).
- Data is restored by performing batch insert operations. The maximum number of entities are inserted per batch (100 entities per partition or 4mb batch size).
- All transactions are performed at the raw REST level for efficiency, and to ensure data is duplicated precisely.
- The backup file format is a gzip compressed file containing the atom xml from the table service queries.
- All communication between the client & the server is over SSL.